I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Thursday, December 16, 2004
Hobbies

brendalove@gmail.com

I had a friend point out to me that I have a ridiculous amount of interests and its true. I started a list. Now mind you, I don't do all of this stuff at once. Some of it I haven't done in years! Some of it I've never done at all but I have books and just like to read about it.

Art- I love art. I love making my own art and I love looking at stuff other people have done. I can draw serious works of art but my greatest love is cartooning and I tend to draw in a cartoon style, very fast and to the point. On a talent scale of 1 to 10, I rate about a 6. Art museums are the greatest. If I'm bored I enjoy looking through art books.
Aquariums - I have had several beautiful freshwater aquariums but I had to give this hobby up. When my water system was connected to a well the fish did great....but after I got connected to the city system I had to start hauling buckets and that got old quick. I would definitely take this hobby back up if I were in an ideal location where it would be easy to keep it clean and I had plenty of room to keep supplies. I still keep two bettas now.

Astrology - I don't know much about it but I think its very interesting. I definitely identify with my Taurus the Bull sign. Plus the horoscopes are just plain fun. I have a palmistry book but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Astronomy - I love stars and planets. I always wanted to get a telescope but where I live there's so many trees that I wouldn't have a good view. Plus there's a lot of sky glare from the city lights.
Basketball - Duke and whoever Duke is playing.
Birdwatching - this is a hobby I got obsessed with when I was a kid, like 10 years old! I had my little book, my binoculars and I taught myself everything. I don't actively pursue this hobby anymore but the knowledge has always stuck with me. I can spot a bird and usually know what it is right off. I still have my books and if I see an unusual bird...I don't hesitate to look it up! I was one nerdy-ass kid.
Bonsai - my newest hobby. I ordered a little bonsai kit from a school-fundraiser and voila! It sprouted! It's growing! I am learning as I go along from a website.

Books/Reading/Libraries: I've always been a bookworm. I always have a book I'm working on. Its extremely nerdy to be a bookworm when you're a kid but even that couldn't stop me.
Cartoons - I can't help it. I'll never, ever outgrow them. I love the oldies, I love the newbies.
Cats - I love them and they love me as long as I keep the food coming.
CD Collecting - An actively-pursued hobby, though not with the complete abandon I used to have back in the money-to-burn days.
Civil War - why? I don't know. I love anything about the Civil War.

Computering/Blogging - I enjoy being on the computer. I pretty much have a set schedule of what sites I surf and don't venture out too much beyond it....there's so much out there that's interesting that I'd be on 24/7 if I didn't limit myself. I love both the learning and socializing aspects of the computer.
Cross Stitching - its fun and it keeps you busy. You can watch TV and still feel like you are getting something done. I always make something and give it away.
Crossword Puzzles - I love the Sunday puzzle though I don't do it nearly as often as I used to.
Dogs - I love dogs but I haven't had one since I started working. I feel like I am at work too long and the dog would be lonely during the day. They need lots of company.
Fishing - I really like fishing but I don't know many other people who do. I like to fish at the piers at the beach.

Friends - I enjoy getting together with friends and hanging out but I don't do it much. Everyone is always busy (including me), they're raising kids, we don't have a lot of money and a lot of people are just too plain tired to socialize!
Gardening - I grow tomatoes and squash in the summer. I would do a lot more if I didn't have to do it all by myself!
Ghosts - I love all ghost stories and I don't care whether they are true or not. I would love to visit some haunted places at night but this is not the kind of hobby you want to pursue all by yourself, for obvious reasons.
Hiking - I love it and its good for me! I am not a real fast walker due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome....if I pace myself I can cover a lot of miles before I finally wear out. Have I ever been out and NOT found something interesting? Nope.
History - I want my History Channel!
Hollywood Gossip - fun, fun, fun!
Indians - American Indians. I just like reading about them and was there ever a group of people that had a cooler culture? Nope.

Jack the Ripper and other true crime - go ahead and include forensics in this category too. I love the Jack the Ripper and Lizzie Borden crimes because they were never solved.
Johnny Depp - a whole hobby unto itself. For as long as he's been famous
Lunch Box Collecting - not just any old lunchbox. It has to be something I'm interested in, like a rock star, a movie star, a cartoon I like. I don't have a whole lot of them, maybe about 10. Did you know that Marilyn Manson collects lunchboxes? Wow.
Magnets - I've been collecting magnets since I was a kid, starting with the Freakies from Freakies cereal. I have enough for several refrigerators. I don't display them all at once.

Music - you already know this about me. I love most every kind of music except "new country" and jazz that has too much horn going on. This category includes thinking about music, reading about music, obsessing over music, etc etc etc.
Record Collecting - this was something I did back when I was married and had money. Its a very addicting hobby.
Religion - I especially love the history aspects of religion and the religion-based art that people have created through the centuries.
Rock/Shell Collecting - I love my rocks and shells. Most of my rocks I bought. If I saw a pretty rock in a store I would buy it. Most of my shells I found myself. Here's a prehistoric shark tooth someone gave me as a gift once:

Science - the whole broad category. This includes Earth science, space, oceans, animals, plants, chemistry, medicine, dinosaurs, fossils.....
Sewing - I really like sewing but I do not have the time, I do not have the space.
Swimming - I absolutely love swimming laps but I haven't done it in a long time. I, of course, have no pool and the only public pool I would even consider going to has really gone downhill.
Toy Collecting - mostly action figures. I didn't do this long and I really don't do it anymore because of lack of space. I did have to buy a Jimi Hendrix action figure a few months ago, though.

UFOs - I just like hearing about them, especially the stories that have never been disproved. I think I saw one once. I'm not sure about these people that say they've been abducted by aliens, though, that's a little bit out there. I used to love that show Unsolved Mysteries.
Writing - This kind of goes with the blogging category. I used to write for an indie 'zine in the 90's doing music/concert reviews.

So.......what do you like to do in your spare time?

Here's the Christmas Cartoon of the Day!: