I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Saturday, September 10, 2005
KANYE WEST

Brendalove@gmail.com

I avoid discussing politics on this blog with the same energy I would use to avoid an encounter with...say....the Black Plague. Its just not my thing and there are loads of other bloggers out there that do that sort of thing much better than I could. My philosophy is that everyone is entitled to their political opinions (and fantasies) ......and I have absolutely no interest in trying to convert you over to my way of thinking. Even though I might think you're a total pompous ass in your politics...hey, its your right to feel the way you do (and God help us if you ever get elected for anything).

Plus I suck at argument and debate, it stresses me out. Me and stress are not a winning combination.

However, this does not mean I don't have any interest in politics. My political leanings are a happy combination of liberal and conservative....going too far in either direction makes me uncomfortable. I'm all for less war and more environment....I have hugged trees before. I don't believe the government should decide for me whether or not I should have a child. In fact, I think the government should stay out of our personal lives as much as possible. Everyone deserves equality and freedom to be who they are. Yet I abhor wasteful and crazy spending practices and too much "bleeding heart" syndrome. In other words....I'm just a middle of the road kind of gal.

But sometimes, a gal's gotta speak out!



Kanye West stated on live TV (while standing next to a hilariously dumbfounded Mike Meyers) that "George Bush does not care about black people." His comments were censored on the West Coast. Now he's being booed at the NFL football stadiums.

It is my belief that Kanye West has made one of the most important statements of this year....of this presidency, even. Because his statement is absolutely true. George Bush doesn't care about black people. He also doesn't care about white people or Hispanics or Asians or gay people or the elderly. The only Americans that Mr. Bush cares about tend to have a whole lot of money. The only thing that George Bush is truly interested in is fighting this Iraqi war that his Daddy got started.

The only reason Bush finally got the ball rolling on New Orleans relief efforts is that the public outcry couldn't be ignored any further without "irrepairable damage" to his reputation. He literally let the New Orleans survivors stew in their own juices without food or water for 4 to 5 days. Yes, I realize FEMA and others were unorganized and unprepared, but when the President's raising hell, you just grab bottled water and go. This wasn't happening. I presume part of the delay was Bush's loathing of diverting his precious war budget money to rescuing a section of his country that is a majority poor....and yes.....black. Its absolutely repulsive. I have never been so scornful and disrespectful of an American president in my lifetime.

And don't even start with me about why "these people didn't evacuate when they had the chance." Gee, I wonder why those nursing home people didn't get out? Why didn't those living in poverty simply pack up the Jaguar and head out of there? Why didn't those fixed income folks simply go rent a $50.00 a night motel? Simply put, you don't want to go down that conversational route with me. DON'T BE STUPID.

Okay, I need to wrap this up, I need to go to bed. Bottom line, if you're booing Kanye West, you really need to take a few moments, look deep inside and ask yourself some hard questions. And that is all.