I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Thursday, July 13, 2006
TODAY'S TOPIC IS....

Brendalove@gmail.com

Once again, I really REALLY need to know what you think.

Okay, let's assume that you have health insurance and have had it for many years. Your health insurance company really doesn't care about you as an individual, although they do send out informational stuff with exercise tips and low-fat recipes and such. No problem.

But suddenly, your health insurance company REALLY CARES! They want you to schedule a health screening examination with one of their doctors so they can identify your health risks. All you have to do is show up and they will weigh you, measure your waistline, and take your blood pressure. Oh yeah....and one small other thing.

They want a blood sample.

They say its to measure glucose in your blood to determine if you are at risk for diabetes. And oh yeah, by participating you will receive a nice fat chunk of change towards your health insurance costs for next year. And oh yeah, when you are done with your exam, you have to sign an agreement giving the health insurance company full custoday of all results.

Did I mention they want a blood sample?

Now I know all you stoners out there are like "OMG"!!! but that's not the issue at all. I am a Court TV junkie and all I know is that I would be turning over a sample of my DNA to my insurance company....along with full permission to do whatever they want with it.

It ain't gonna happen.

One example of a ramification: suppose I'm genetically predisposed to....let's say....kidney disease. And they've found a way to determine by my DNA that at some point in the future, I'm going to probably develop kidney disease. What do you think an insurance company is going to do? For more examples of things that are bothering me, click HERE

Why is the insurance company waving a monetary carrot in front of our noses to get this examination done?

You know what? I'll pay the extra premium myself. Nobody gets a piece of my body except the one I love and my doctor. Its none of the insurance company's goddamn business.

How do you feel about this issue? What would you do?