I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Tuesday, March 28, 2006
JOAN BAEZ

Brendalove@gmail.com

Much thanks to WORDNERD for triggering this subject in my brain with the title of one of her blog entries!


As you may or may not know, my father was a career cop. I guess he pretty much saw it all....or as much as you're going to see here in good ol' Durham NC, anyway. He hated a liar, a killer and/or a thief....but there are few people my Dad hated worse than Joan Baez. That little vein in his forehead would pop out a bit, his nostrils would quiver and his mouth became a hard line with no lips showing if you even brought her NAME up.

Why?

Turns out our friend Joan came to Duke University for some kind of student rally or lecture or something back in either the 60's or early 70's. And my Dad was one of the ones hired to provide security for Ms. Baez.



When the band struck up "The Star Spangled Banner" at the beginning of the gathering....Ms. Baez refused to stand.

I've often wondered what his reaction was at the moment it was happening. He was a professional.....but I also know how he was.....I bet his opinion was all over his face! I certainly know what his opinion was afterwards though.

Dad: She's nothing but a DAMN BITCH.
Wicked Stepmother: Honey! Stop talking like that!
Dad: Well its the truth. If the bitch can't stand up and acknowledge the country she lives in and the freedoms she has, she can damn well pack her bags and get on a plane out of here.
Wicked Stepmother: Honey please! Try to calm down!
Dad: *vein pops up, nostrils quiver, lips get squashed*

And this was 10 to 15 years or more after the fact!!!

He got all pissy because of this Bob Dylan album I owned:

Because he was convinced that was Joan Baez back there smoking a cigarette. He really busted a gut that day! Someone I managed to convince him it wasn't Joan Baez....and its NOT....but I still decided to keep the record over at my mother's house.

Parents. Sheesh!