I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE!

Brendalove@gmail.com

Spotted today in traffic: a young girl, probably mid-twenties, driving a small truck with the following bumper stickers:

WHERE ARE WE GOING?
And Why Am I In This Hand Basket?

JESUS IS COMING.
Look Busy

Now maybe its just me....but I'd say this young lady might be experiencing a period of religious upheaval in her life. I hope she finds the answers she's looking for. I sure haven't.


I've been accused of everything from puritan do-goodism to outright devil worship....neither of which is true. I'm definitely somewhere in-between. I've read the Bible twice and the I Ching once....and planning to read the I Ching again this year. I've read books on Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, Buddhism and all kinds of Occult/New Age/Pagan type stuff. In fact, I think I've read too much because while I feel very spiritual....my personal beliefs tend to be a mish-mash of all of this stuff. I feel like a little kid who doesn't know his own mind when religious issues come up.....which is not a good way to be in the Southern Baptist South. I don't exclude anything as being a possibility.

I worry though. I can hear my Grandmother right now...."If you don't stand for something, you don't stand for anything" or something along those lines. What's going to happen to my soul if I never commit heart and soul to one religion? I have this dark image of dying and my soul being ripped apart by the different "Gods"....everybody is going to want a piece and I'll never be whole again.


One thing I feel for sure though. There is a Great Creator. I look around me at the beauty of the Earth and the beauty of the people and animals, the beauty of the sky above me, and I know in my heart there is a God....whoever He might be....even if He is more than one. But He exists, I feel certain.