I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Saturday, November 26, 2005
THANKSGIVING REGRETS

brendalove@gmail.com

Ugh.


Thanksgiving is over and all that's left is the crying. I gotta go on a diet. AND get back to exercising regularly. I'll start out with some good old fashioned starvation for awhile and then gradually move up to solid foods when I start feeling like I'm going to pass out. That sounds harsh but really, the only way I can lose weight is to simply not eat. Let the dieting begin!

As you may or may not know, I am living in the same house I was raised in. I bought it when my grandfather died for an amazingly low price. The fact that I've been in this house forever has made for some interesting encounters.

Tonight I answer the door and who is standing there but someone I don't know! It turns out he's looking for my older sister. He was her boyfriend....30 freaking years ago!!!! Okay. I was extremely nice to him, I was like "oh its so good to see you!" even though I was like 9 years old when I last saw him. He wanted to know what my sister was doing now and I'm like, well, she's married and has two kids and works at Duke and she's doing really well! And all of a sudden it was like he got an attack of the Awkwards and he was totally ready to leave. Right that very second. Okay, nice to see you, buh-bye! He couldn't get to his car fast enough. It was beyond strange, and I felt very uncomfortable when he practically ran away like that....I felt like I'd done something wrong....when I KNEW I hadn't.

I feel bad for him because I suppose he is lonely. I can't imagine that anything but extreme loneliness would drive someone to seek out an old girlfriend who was 15 years old when you last laid eyes on her. And then run away like a scared doggy. At least come in for a short chat and a glass of sweet tea!



Or maybe it was me who scared him. He took one look at my Thanksgiving-dinner-bloated self, eyes all sunk in and glazed over, still in recovery from my turkey-induced coma....and got the hell out of there before my head started twirling 360 degrees.