I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Saturday, October 08, 2005
REST IN PEACE

Brendalove@gmail.com



Guess who's in town over at Duke University tonight? In the rain? Yep. Boy am I ever glad I didn't pay $95.00 per ticket to go watch the Rolling Stones catch their death of pneumonia! Hopefully their antibodies and enzymes are in good working order, though. As for me, I think I'll just put on an (old) Rolling Stones CD, have a drink or two, and stare at their poster. In my nice dry house.

WHAT'S BUGGING ME TODAY?


My friend, Gail. This is the only picture I have of her. She was actually a very pretty girl, but she was looking a little rough in this pic. We met because our husbands were good friends....and though we were very different girls, we got along famously. Eventually she and her husband broke up, and later on my husband and I broke up, so I ended up losing touch with her. She started dating a much younger guy and got in deep with him. Apparently he was quite the hot tempered asshole because I do know she was desperately unhappy, enough so that her ex-husband and his new girl offered to take her in if she would just leave him. But she didn't get away fast enough. Eleven years ago today he got mad with her over something, so he picked up a baseball bat and beat her to death.

I had finished my newspaper one day without noticing the little story way in the back about it. It was laying on the table waiting to be thrown away. I was talking on the phone and for some reason my eyes kept getting drawn back to that newspaper. Finally my brain focused in on what I'd been staring at for 30 minutes while I was talking. Otherwise I would have never found out about this.

They arrested the asshole. It happened out-of-town, so I never got the follow up on how much time he got. Probably less time than your average marijuana user or property tax delinquent would receive. Hell, he might even be out by now.

I don't know what happened to her kids.

I don't even know where she is buried.

She's just someone who drifted into my life for awhile and drifted right back out again.

I wonder if there's anyone else out there in the world today remembering her?

The Halloween Pic of The Day: A Resting Place for Gail that she would have liked.