I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Tuesday, September 20, 2005
MY LED ZEPPELIN DILEMMA

Brendalove@gmail.com


My most-worshipped band, of probably my whole life, was Led Zeppelin:


On the night on September 26, 1980, myself and 5 other unnamed teenagers met with several cans of spray paint....and we spray-painted this symbol:

on a very public road here in town, to commemorate John Bonham, Led Zeppelin's drummer, who had passed away the day before. We were all devastated and in our convoluted teenaged minds, this was the ultimate tribute we could pay to a great drummer. That symbol stayed there for several years before it finally disintegrated.


But here's the catch: that night, in our fevered mourning and rock star worship, we made a pact that we would spray paint the symbols of the OTHER band members, so help us God, when THEY passed away, too. I took an OATH, you guys.

When those band members die, if I am of sound mind and body, I'm gonna do it.

I promised.

In BLOOD, no less.

I just have this image though....in the year 2030, Jimmy Page finally dies at age 80. I, at age 65, go through with my promise, spray paint his symbol on the road and I get arrested. I'm caught red-handed, spray paint can in hand. I'm down at the station house and the cops are like "Why'd you do it, Grannie?" and I'm waving my cane at them ...

"BECAUSE THEY ROCKED, YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS!"