I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Tuesday, March 29, 2005
THE DEFINITIVE CAT BLOG ENTRY

brendalove@gmail.com

Boy, I sure have been serious lately. No comedy, no pictures. I just haven't felt like uploading any pictures lately. And nothing seems funny. Well, I'm just going to roll with it for now. Maybe I'll say something deep and inspiring instead. Don't hold your breath, though.

Judy at http://justaskjudy.blogspot.com/ gave me the idea for this blog entry. Lil' Bud had just died and Judy had one of her dogs to pass away. I decided I was going to blog about my cats. All of them. From back in history. I started writing and I got extremely carried away. But one thing is for sure.....this is THE Definitive Cat Blog Entry....and I should never have to blog about my cats ever again. That is, unless they do something unbearably cute. Read on, read on....

I just love my cats. I have two cats, Kitten and Miss Kitty. Kitten is already going on 8 years old and Miss Kitty is at least 4 or 5. I’m not really sure how long cats live but I am trying to prepare myself for the fact that they may not always be around. I’m not even supposed to have cats anymore, I made a promise to myself a long time ago….NO MORE CATS. So how did I end up with these?

When I was growing up, we always had a cat or a dog…..I had a parakeet once….we had a few critters here and there and I remember having a white mouse named Bruce. The cats and dogs never stayed around too long…there was always that urge to roam and then they were just gone. I don’t remember ever seeing one of my beloved pets as a deceased being.

I had my own place by the time I was 19 and I had a soft spot for stray cats….and if there was a stray cat around they always found me. By the time I was in my early 20’s I had 3 cats and loved them dearly. Their names were Kitty Boy (God, I’m so creative), Noodles and Target (due to the perfectly formed bulls-eye target on each side of his body). Life was good.

But then in the space of a few days:
Me and Boyfriend broke up. I was really down about it.
Noodles got hit by a car. My mom’s significant other found him and took him away to bury him (but probably just dumped him somewhere) before I even knew it happened. SAD
Target got struck down with feline leukemia and got so sick within the space of a few days that I had to have him put to sleep.
Then Kitty Boy got extremely sick with the feline leukemia and I had to put him to sleep.

I swear all that happened in the space of like, a week. You know too how everything is when you’re in your early twenties….it was very traumatic and everything was so much drama. My inner violin played for days and I cried and cried…more for the kitties than the boyfriend, I think. And I felt so alone grieving for my cats…you know how it is when you have deal with a lot of non-animal lovers. Nobody understood my PAIN, dammit (I was emo before emo was cool). And I swore right there and then….no more boyfriends, no more animals. It was all too painful to take.

Well the boyfriend exile thing lasted about 6 months I guess. But I stuck to the animal thing. I owned NO PETS until I was married and had a child. And even then I didn’t want one….my husband came home with a stray one day and I said no, I didn’t want a cat. But he wore me down till I said “Fine, whatever, but I’m not having anything to do with it.” That lasted about a week. Kitty (another original name) wore me down being unceasingly cute until my cold heart melted.

I think poor Kitty might have been poisoned. She came home one day behaving very strangely but seemed to recover. A week later she disappeared. I let her out of the house and we never saw her again.

Since then there have been some other cats….I took in two cats a friend of mine had because she couldn’t have pets when she moved. One was unhappy and ran away the first chance she got. The other ran with her but obviously not very far….apparently he hid under the house until hunger MADE him love me. His name was Percy (my friend’s name for him, not mine). He was a sweetie but the awful day came when I accidentally ran over him. I buried him and went back in the house and didn’t come out for 3 days.

One stray cat I ended up having to take to be put to sleep because he was incredibly old. He was a sweet kitty too but he was so old he was incontinent, arthritic and his little teeth were starting to fall out. If I didn’t have to work, I would have continued to take care of him but I couldn’t be with him and it didn’t seem right to make him have to find yet another home and be in such pain in his old age like that.

And now its Kitten and Miss Kitty. Kitten we actually got from a pet store. Her nickname is “Pet Store Kitty”. Never go look at the kitties at the pet store when you don’t have one at home or you’ll end up taking one home. Miss Kitty was a stray, starving to death. Now she’s so fat people can’t believe it. She obviously has an eating disorder due to her starving days but that’s okay.

So what happens when they have gone to their reward? I don’t know. To be honest I really don’t want to get another one….but knowing my luck some homeless kitty will find me. I’d really kind of like to get a dog….I haven’t had a dog since I was a kid….but I have some serious doubts about this since I’m gone all day….I know dogs need a lot of attention but I see others that have dogs and are gone from them all day and are doing okay with it. And I need to make sure I can afford vet bills….I don’t really take the cats to the vet. I get them spayed or neutered and then they are on their own after that. There’s no budget for vet bills on Planet Brenda. I would want to be able to care for a dog just a little bit better than that.