I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Monday, November 08, 2004
I Can't Hear You

BConklin1@nc.rr.com



I am getting worried about my hearing. A news commercial was just on and I swear this what they said:

"Tonight on Eyewitness News 11 - cheap medicines and cannibals...why are they crossing the border? How does it effect our economy? Find out more about barnacles tonight on Eyewitness News 11 at 6:00!"

Huh?

I didn't realize cannibals were crossing the border for cheap drugs! How come they know about all the shopping deals and we didn't? Maybe some research is in order:


I bet this book would tell us everything we need to know.

Now the barnacles part....I think that was just pure not hearing well. I'm already an expert on barnacles because of:


You-know-who!!!! Now he's going to be a major motion picture star....coming November 19th. And I'm not ashamed to tell you I'll be right there on opening weekend.

There were some great comments on yesterday's Homo floresiensis stuff. I just can't respond to them because Blogger won't let me. So....the article was in fact called "Hobbits of the South Pacific". At the island where the skeletons were found (Flores) there were folktales of a race of shy little people who inhabited the caves on the island. According to the legend, they didn't disappear until the 1500's! If true, that's pretty recent....at least when comparing with all of history. It's also pretty cool that Western scientists just ignored the whole thing as being rubbish...and it now appears there is some truth to the tale! As much as I love science, there's really nothing more fun than scientists getting dissed.

Regarding brain size....I was always led to believe humans only use a small percentage of our brains within our lifetime. Is that still the accepted school of thought? If so, would other species only use a small percentage of their brains also? Couldn't a small brain contain just as much
"quality" as a large one?

Is it really true that bigger means better quality?

And I ain't talking apples and oranges here, baby.