I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Sunday, November 21, 2004
Dude, War Sucks

BConklin1@nc.rr.com



I still feel bad! The cough and congestion isn't as bad but I am still running a fever and have killer fatigue. It's getting on my last nerve!!! There was so much I wanted to get done today and still have some play time. All I've gotten done so far is a load of laundry and a bunch of sleeping. I HATE IT!

Here's what I accomplished last night...
- Me as an avatar! As close as I can get it anyway. They didn't have an option for darkness under the eyes or a sneer quite like mine. It's a load of fun though, go and make one for yourself here: http://avatarmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml (thank you, Stew!)

One good thing about being sick - I have been able to catch up on some reading. Here is mandatory reading for all Planet Brenda visitors:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/6593163?pageid=rs.PoliticsArchive&pageregion=mainRegion - Seven retired military leaders discuss what has gone wrong in Iraq. This is informative and scary as hell at the same time. One of them uses the term "utopian thinkers" which is a great phrase and one I'll no doubt rip off as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

All of them seem to agree on one thing...there was never a solid plan in place to rebuild Iraq. Bush & Co. really did seem to think that the Iraqis would welcome us with open arms and everything would just work out.


I find myself worried about this war more and more. What's going to happen? Where will it all end? I look at some of Sparkle's male friends and I know in my heart they're going to get drafted before long. And get sent over there and possibly killed and no one is going to do anything about it. Another statistic. There's a lot of apathy about this war.

For one thing, I don't understand why we don't SEE more of it. I was just a little kid when Vietnam was going on but it was everywhere on TV. If we were allowed to watch TV late, the rule was we had to "hide our eyes" whenever my Mom said to. We asked why and my Mother said that it was because it was "that old war stuff" and "stuff kids couldn't see"....so if she said "Hide your eyes" we had to duck down until whatever they were showing was over. Of course you know I had to peek a few times. It was just guys laying on the ground, that's what I thought then. But now when I see those old newsreels I know TV news was serious about showing the horrors of war....and that's the way it should be. I know there haven't been nearly the casualties in this war that there were in Vietnam, but....have you seen any of them? Me either. Not that I want to....but I do think being "protected" from the reality of war is NOT a good thing for this country. Just hide your eyes and duck down....maybe it will all go away.

But...here I am going on about something that others can talk about with a lot more authority than I can.

Whatever. But I can say with authority that war is a waste of life. Fine people who have served before:
- Desert Storm soldier

- Is this guy even 18 years old?? Vietnam soldier.

- Korean War soldier

- World War II soldier

- World War I soldier

- Civil War soldier....this guy is kind of hot, actually. For a 140 years ago dude, that is.

All right already....I'll stop before I have to start posting engravings and cave paintings.