I would have ruled this world too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!
Sunday, November 07, 2004
Did You Just Call Me A Homo Floresiensis?

BConklin1@nc.rr.com

Things have been so crazy with the internet lately. First Blogger was acting up for a day or so and then my ISP went crazy. Everything seems to be back to normal now, though if I start typing up another blog post and lose it again....I'm going to scream!


Sparkle and I made a trip to Offbeat CDs today. The Orgy bin was empty. I informed the dude that he needed to order some more Orgy. He was most agreeable. I like that dude. Meanwhile, we were able to find a few other things we liked...some H.I.M., some Butch Walker, some Jeff Buckley, some Mogwai. God, we are so predictable. I think I may actually own all the Jeff Buckley that exists, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

We went to Fishmongers Restaurant for some clam chowder after that. They have the ultimate best in the world. We kind of knew our waiter and we gave the blog address to him but damn...I think I left off the "blogspot" part of the web address. Its pretty slack when you can't even remember your own blog address. So Mr. Fishmongers, if you actually make it here please let us know.


Here's a bowl of clam chowder for ya. And I said CLAM chowder, not MAN chowder. Ha, beat ya to it, peanut gallery!

I managed to snag a 6 month subscription to TIME magazine for like $15.00. That's an awesome price. I haven't been getting it for a few years now because its hideously expensive, being a weekly and all. But now I can get a hit of Joel Stein, one of my favorite writers, anytime I want!


He's sort of hot too, in that geeky hot writer kind of way.

There was this totally interesting article in my first issue on the discovery of the bones of a prehistoric race of people discovered in the Indonesian Islands. They found 7 skeletons and one was a nearly intact female. They are called Homo floresiensis and they were about as large as the average 3 year old of today. Here's a pic of an HF next to a modern skull...as you can see the two are remarkably similar, HF is just a lot smaller. They made a big deal about the fact that their brains were smaller...


Looks like their noses would have been wider and flatter than modern man, too.

Regarding small brains....I don't think it matters how large a brain is. I don't feel that there are species that lack intelligence...they just process stuff in their minds differently. They're not worried about all the bullshit we humans worry about. They only worry about what they need to do to survive.

I can't look into a dog's eyes or the eyes of a cat and see a "dumb" animal. These are intelligent thinking creatures. You can almost see what they're thinking sometimes. I have a little betta fish in a bowl in the bathroom (not the toilet bowl!) and you should see that little fish when I walk in there. He goes absolutely nuts when he sees me....even after he's been fed. He swims around and wiggles his fins like a maniac....he's wanting attention bad! Don't try to tell me that fish don't have any intelligence. I'm at a loss as to what to do for him though.....should I reach in there and pet him??? That's what he seems to want. But I just stare at him and this seems to make him happy. Here he is:


His name is Fishie. I love him. And if loving a Fishie is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

And finally, here is a red Hummer that was spotted cruising around the Scott Peterson courthouse:


Heh heh, I love the internet.